My second manuscript was not like that. Not at all. The idea came easily, and much of the basic plot, but I hit a point where I was fighting to put every word on the page. When I finished it, it was really easy to put it aside and not think about it before I started revising - because I wasn't really that excited about it. In my mind, the whole thing was a 59,000 word mess.
|This is pretty much how I looked.|
The first chapter wasn't as bad as I expected either. I did it in one day. I read and edited the second chapter the next day, and the third the day after that. After I got into a rhythm, I managed to do more than one chapter at a time. I figured out what didn't work, cutting huge chunks and adding more. In one week, I deleted 8,000 words and added 15,000 more. The draft currently in front of me is just shy of 80,000 words. And I love it. That never would have happened if I hadn't forced myself to take the first step and dive in.
No, I didn't finish as soon as I wanted. (I had this arbitrary idea that, since my CPs were hustling to finish their MSs by August to enter PitchWars, I needed be on the same deadline. That makes no sense.) But it's been read by three CPs (one especially brave CP read it twice), and I have a beta reader reviewing it for typos. In another week or two, it'll be ready to go to my agent. Fixing problems in a manuscript may seem daunting, but it's a marathon, not a sprint. Like any journey, you just have to take that first step and you're on your way.