Today I'm excited to be reviewing FROSH: SECOND CHANCES by Mónica Bustamonte Wagner. I received a free copy of both books in the series in exchange for this honest review. But before we get to that Mónica wanted to share her playlist for this book.
Hi! Thanks for inviting me to this blog today. : )In FROSH: First Blush, Ellie, Grant, Devon, and Charlie spent their welcome week falling head over heels for each other--before totally falling apart. Now, in FROSH: Second Chances, they'll have to pick up the pieces.
I’m here to share a playlist for each of the main POV characters on Frosh: Second Chances.
Ellie: Set Fire to The Rain and Rolling in the Deep – Adele. Can't Remember to Forget You - Shakira ft. Rihanna.
Grant: The Scientist (Nobody Said it Was Easy) – Coldplay. Misery – Maroon 5.
Charlie: Are You Lonesome Tonight – Elvis Presley. I Will Wait – Mumford and Sons.
Devon: Fancy - Iggy Azalea and Charli XCX. Work Bitch - Britney Spears
Thanks so much for reading!
Grant is adjusting to his new reality: no more football means no more free passes in class, and definitely no more distractions; especially from Ellie, whom he misses even after she destroyed his world. Can he find a way to move on without her--and without football?
Devon finally has it all: her brother's sober and her boyfriend is an adorkable genius. But when her parents threaten to tear her and Charlie apart because he doesn't 'fit' into their high society, she will go to dangerous lengths to prove that nothing--nothing--can defeat Devon Connors.
Charlie's never questioned who he is: pre-med science geek, and now, Devon Connors' boyfriend. But when he discovers a secret about his past, Charlie isn't sure of anything--especially whether he can trust Devon with the truth.
Perfect for fans of Cora Carmack and Colleen Hoover, Monica B. Wagner's sexy New Adult series follows these four characters all the way to winter break--when the only thing they'll want more than first love is a second chance.
Things I Liked:
- Wagner's crisp writing helped me sink back into these couples' stories the way you pick up with you BFF as if it hasn't been a month since you last spoke. I loved seeing the way Devon and Charlie's relationship grew between the books.
- Grant's grown a lot in this book, and I'm excited to see what happens to him next. Excellent characterization for all four of the main characters, for all I hated seeing them go through hard times.
- The pacing is spot-on. It's a quick, fun read.
- Randomly, I think "mac n cheese sex" is my all-time favorite phrase. I get it.
Things I Didn't Like:
- This stupid book ripped my heart out and smashed it into little piece and made me feel things AND I HATE THAT. I literally put down the book at one point and went to go get some ice cream because I couldn't stand all the emotions. It takes some pretty stellar writing to get me pissed off about how much I'm feeling.
- There's not enough sex. One of the things that makes FROSH: First BLUSH work so well is that by juxtapositioning the storylines, Ellie can hold onto her virginity but the reader gets lots and lots of steamy sex with Charlie and Devon. In SECOND CHANCES, Devon and Charlie have their own problems, so there's no sex at all for most of the book. The sex scenes we get are HAWT, but I still wish there were more of them.
Honestly, the book was a bit of a letdown for me after reading FIRST BLUSH. I came to know and love all four of these characters, and then mostly bad things happened them for most of the book. Also, HIGHLIGHT FOR SPOILER ***I also was expecting a complete story, so I was a little disappointed to find a cliffhanger at the end.*** END
4 out of 5 stars. The writing is solid, but the plot didn't deliver quite what I hoped.
Don't forget to check out the first book in the series!
During welcome week at Hillson University, the FROSH will hit the fan.
Type-A aspiring journalist Ellie plans to take freshman year by storm. But hell-bent on breaking a huge on-campus scandal, she risks becoming one herself—and getting the mysterious, heart-melting QB in serious trouble.
Grant, star quarterback and charismatic chick-magnet, is hiding a life-altering secret. The last thing he needs is an overeager (absolutely adorable) journalist asking questions. He’s got a reputation to protect.
High-society legacy student Devon is ready to catch the football hottie of her dreams. If the tabloids feature her with the “it” boy on her arm, her tainted past will be buried—or so she thinks.
Charlie, pre-med, is done being the sweet and funny geek that girls like Devon ignore. But if he tries to impress her with a new edgy, spontaneous attitude, will his heart end up in the emergency room?
FROSH intertwines the stories of Ellie, Grant, Devon, and Charlie in Mónica B. Wagner’s sexy NA debut series, about falling in love and falling apart.